Chase County has Grants and Incentives to help with Community Revitalization
Neighborhood Revitalization Plan
This plan is intended to promote the revitalization and development of Chase County by stimulating the rehabilitation, conservation or redevelopment of the area in order to protect the public health, safety or welfare of the residents of the county by offering certain tax rebates. Tax rebate is a tool for local governments to encourage new investment in order to increase or maintain the employment levels of the community, improve the provision of housing accommodations, encourage rehabilitation of deteriorated areas, preserve historically and architecturally significant structures and promote sound economic growth.
- Rehabilitation, alteration and additions to existing buildings and new construction on all real property classified as residential, farm residence, agricultural, or commercial and industrial situated in the designated area shall be eligible.
- Only taxable real property is eligible. Property assessed by the state is not eligible.
- The minimum investment in an improvement shall be $10,000.
- All new construction or construction of an improvement must have begun on or after the effective date of this plan and be completed no later than the second January 1st following the date on which the County Appraiser conditionally approved the application.
- Property eligible for property tax relief under any other provision of Kansas law will be eligible to secure relief under only one such plan or law as the owner selects.
Application and Procedures
- An application may be obtained from the Chase County Appraiser’s office, Strong City Clerk’s office or the Cottonwood Falls City Clerk’s office.
- PRIOR to commencement of construction on any improvement or new construction for which a tax rebate will be requested, the applicant-owner must after obtaining building permits as may be required, complete Part 1 of the application and file said application with the County Appraiser’s office with a non-refundable application fee of $25. Requests must be received before commencement of construction. There are no exceptions.
- Additional procedures may be procured from the office of application.
Maximum Tax Rebate Amount and Years of Eligibility
- The rebates shall be calculated by subtracting the before assessed property value as determined by the county appraiser on the most recent regular valuation, from the value ascribed by the appraiser after the improvements are completed. The difference shall be multiplied annually by the applicable mill levies of Chase County, Cottonwood Falls, Strong City and USD 284 which will establish the amount of tax eligible.
- The initial value added increment will be used each year to calculate the maximum tax rebate amount each year for the  five year rebate period.
- Year 1 – Maximum tax rebate amount would be 100% of the tax eligible for rebate.
- Year 2 – Maximum tax rebate amount would be 80% of the tax eligible for rebate.
- Year 3 – Maximum tax rebate amount would be 60% of the tax eligible for rebate.
- Year 4 – Maximum tax rebate amount would be 40% of the tax eligible for rebate.
- Year 5 – Maximum tax rebate amount would be 20% of the tax eligible for rebate.
Homestead Affordable Housing, Inc Cottonwood Falls New Home Construction Project
Homestead Affordable Housing, Inc. has vacant lots available for new single family homes. The vacant lots are located on the block where the former elementary school was located and are now available for families interested in building a new home in Cottonwood Falls.
Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is providing up to $10,000 as a forgivable 5 year grant to be used for down payment assistance, closing costs and lot infrastructure development.
Homestead Affordable Housing, Inc. can assist you with the USDA 502 Direct Loan program or you may secure your own financing through the mortgage lender of your choice.
You choose your builder and select your own house plans (minimum of 1300 sq. ft.), then build your dream home.
You have all the choices available to you … choose your lot, choose your financing, choose your builder, choose your house plans and choose beautiful Cottonwood Falls.
Homestead Affordable Housing, Inc.
115 W. 4th St, Holton, KS 66436
For additional information about these plans and other opportunities please contact Jennifer Laird, Chase County Economic Development Director, Chase County Chamber of Commerce via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 620-273-8469.